We recorded just about average annual rainfall over the year, which resulted in healthy crops of Shiraz and Cabernet. Unseasonably warm November weather interfered with the Chardonnay during flowering and has resulted in small crops of this variety. The weather then remained almost perfect for the rest of vintage. The general consensus amongst winemakers in the Vale is that 2010 marks an exceptional year for both red and white wines.
Traditionally made in open fermenters and matured in a mixture of both old (70%) and new (30%) mainly French (with a little American) oak. We blend a small amount of ‘cordon cut’ ‘Amarone’ style Cabernet back to the main blend just prior to bottling. This component is made from Cabernet Sauvignon that was vine dried for about two weeks after harvest and separately fermented and matured. The ‘Amarone’ style component adds an interesting dimension to what is essentially a single vineyard wine.
This is a classic Cabernet style with red and black fruits on the nose, fine tannins, great length and persistence, and a medium body. The oak is nicely integrated and the result is a super wine from a splendid vintage. Cellaring potential? We always say 5-8 years so you don’t miss out on the fruit, but we pulled a 2002 BoB Cab out the other night and it was as bright as a button and clearly with a lot of life left in it.
|Picking Date||11th, 12th, 17th, 18th and 19th March 2010|
|Bottling Date||31st March 2011|
- Top 100 Wine and Editor's Pick at Advertiser 'Taste' Top 100 Wines
- Gold Medal and Vinpac International Trophy for Best Cabernet Sauvignon at 2011 McLaren Vale Wine Show
- Taste with Tony Love The Advertiser 10th October 2012
- 'Winsor's Choice' from www.winsordobbin.com.au Saturday 19th May 2012
- Australian Wine Review Monday 30th July 2012 Andrew Graham www.ozwinereview.com.au
- eRobertParker.com #199 February 2012 Lisa Perrotti-Brown
- Philip White Indaily Wine Reviews www.indaily.com.au May 18th 2012
- Tasting Report Australian Cabernet Sauvignons and More on JamesSuckling.com November 2011
- The Winefront Campbell Mattinson February 20th 2012
- Wine 100 Australia's Wine Business Magazine Tyson Stelzer May 2012
- Wine Will Eat Itself 2 The Main Course Jeremy Pringle www.winewilleatitself.com March 30th 2012